Friday, May 17, 2013

Under the Tuscan Sun... Chick Flick? No doubt...but what can I say? I liked its message.

OK, let's get this out on the table right up front. I know full well that Under the Tuscan Sun (2003) is a chick flick. There is no wiggle room here.  I can't believe that I am even opening myself up to the certain castration that will come from my testosterone toting buds the next time we're hanging in my garage to watch a ball game and kill some beer and pizza. My wife will surely attest to the fact  that I avoid chick flicks like that dreaded colonoscopy I was supposed to get once I turned 50. Having stated this for the record please let me proceed.

Since having the privilege to vacation with family in Italy in 2005 and again in 2007 I have been obsessively curious about any and all things Italy. When I saw the title of this movie come up on my cable channel listings I was obviously intrigued. I was hopeful that the Tuscany region of Italy would be as much a character in this movie as Las Vegas was in The Hangover (2009). Thankfully I wasn't disappointed.

While this movie could have played out in many a locale around the globe there was something about Tuscany that resonated so true with the narrative. With it's old world, European charm, beautiful landscapes, artistic history, grace and humility,Tuscany provided the perfect backdrop of escape and hope; the two things Frances Mayes (Diane Lane), needed more than anything at this time in her life. Frances is a recently divorced, middle aged, English professor/writer, who is now faced with the circumstance of wondering what the next phase of her life has in store. Empathetic to her plight her friends send her on a vacation to Tuscany in an attempt to give her a break from her woe.

While on a tour of the countryside Frances falls in love with a broken down Villa named Bramesole. Against any and all  instincts of common sense and logic she's ever had she winds up purchasing the home with  every last penny from her divorce settlement. From this point the film takes us on a journey of courage, regret, frustration, heartbreak, and enlightenment.



Frances Mayes, when presented with the notion that this drastic move would enrich and enhance her life, closed her eyes, clenched her teeth, and took the chance. As she navigates her way through this strange new place, with no friends, no money, and not knowing the language, she is forced to summon all her character and inner strength to make this bizarre choice the right one. Along the way there are many events that test her resolve and force her to question her judgement. With the help of Tuscany's magnificence Frances hurdles every obstacle, not always on her terms or timetable but clears them nonetheless. She fixes her house, makes new friends, follows her soul and learns a very important lesson along the way.

Many times we get caught in the trap of thinking our dreams are way beyond our reach. Then someone comes along with an objective eye helping us realize that everything we ever wanted has been developing right under our nose, all because we had the insight and fortitude to make it happen.

What I enjoyed most about this theme is that it got me thinking about how I would act under similar circumstances. After all, how many of us, when faced with a challenge would have the clarity of mind and antenna to the soul to recognize a calling if and when one is served. If we are fortunate enough to hear the advice being offered by our inner voice, how many of us would then have the courage to pursue it with no assurance of how it will turn out. These are a few of the soul searching questions this film brings out in a very enjoyable, lighthearted, and often funny way. It also made me ponder if I had missed any signals in my own life up until now. With hindsight being 20/20 vision I certainly hope not, and thankfully I have no regrets. Like most good intentioned New Year's resolutions I also came away from this movie vowing to be more attentive to these moments if and when they arrive. I hope.

So yes, this is a chick flick. I watched it and I liked it. However, a word to producers,writers, and directors, ... don't get too comfortable. If you want me to become a regular fan of this genre then you must assure me of two things. The message in your films will always be as life affirming as it was in this one ... but more important than anything else ... make sure you set it somewhere in Italy. Comprendere?


Under the Tuscan Sun (2003) 
Directed by: Audrey Wells 
Written by: Frances Mayes, Audrey Wells
Starring Diane Lane, Sandra Oh, Lindsay Duncan, Raoul Bova , Vincent Riotta






Please stay tuned for more Musings From Studio 618, and if you like them please tell a friend.

All my very best,
Anthony





No comments:

Post a Comment